Monday, May 17, 2010

Africa - the Essential

This truly is a wide scope of African music as far as my unprofessional ears are concerned. It spans the entire continent and is bursting with so many different flavours. I am reminded of how interwoven music is as I hear bits that remind me of Cuban, Brazilian, Spanish and Turkish music... I'm sure there's countless other ties and connections in there that I'm missing. Before today I was actually pretty unfamiliar with this album and I was surprised to hear so much on there that I already knew and recognized.
Africa Essential starts off on a killer note with Diogal's "Samba Alla." This song is like a peaceful, smooth night and his voice comes in like the warmth that is left after a hot summer day as cooled. His voice is the air that wraps you up, gaurding you from the chill. Light and comforting that all is right with the world.
The album unwinds into other songs hitting high notes and low, slow and celebratory, strong and majestic.. Hand pianos chime in like a sweet rain and amidst my work at school I am whisked away into a much needed trip into a dreamworld...grand Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment